Hon. Sir John Hansen
Service: Arbitration, Arb-Med, Mediation, Expert Determination, Early Neutral Evaluation
Area of Expertise:
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand.
- Barrister of the Supreme Court of New Zealand.
- Barrister and Solicitor, Supreme Court of Western Australia (16 August, 1985).
- LEADR Advanced Mediation Course.
- 1966 Clerk, Collier & Taylor, Barristers & Solicitors, Dunedin, New Zealand .
- 1967 Solicitor, Aspinall, Joel & Co., Barristers & Solicitors, Dunedin, New Zealand.
- 1967-69 Solicitor/Barrister, John E. Farry, Barristers Solicitor, Dunedin, New Zealand.
- 1969-79 Partner, John E. Farry & Hansen, Barristers & Solicitors, Dunedin, New Zealand.
- 1979 Hong Kong Judiciary (variously Magistrate, Coroner, Family Court Judge, District Court Judge, Master of the Supreme Court.
- 1988 Appointed Master of the High Court of New Zealand sitting in Christchurch.
- 1993 Temporary Judge of the High Court of New Zealand (from 1 February).
- 1995-2008 Judge of the High Court of New Zealand (from 11 March)(Senior Puisne Judge from 2004).
- 1997 to 2008 Executive Judge, South Island.
- Business Manager, Otago University Students Executive.
- Secretary, Otago University Law Students Association.
- Foundation President, New Zealand Legal Association, Otago Branch.
- Member Organising Committee, New Zealand Law Society Conference, 1980 (until departure to Hong Kong).
- Chairman Kaikorai Rugby Football Club Inc., Dunedin, New Zealand.Committee.
- Committee Member Dunedin Cricket Club.
- Captain of Cricket, Kowloon Cricket Club, Hong Kong.
- Manager Hong Kong Cricket XI to Malaysia/Singapore 1983 and I.C.C. Associate Members Trophy U.K. 1986.
- Member Hong Kong Supreme Court Rules Committee, Hong Kong.
- Member Hong Kong Supreme Court Rules Sub-Committee. (Responsible for drafting a new Supreme Court Ordinance & Rules).
- Member Law Reform Commission, Hong Kong.
1988 to Present
- 1988 – 1998 Member of the Rules Committee of New Zealand.
- 1995 Speaker on Letters of Credit, Jakarta.
- 1996 Speaker on Judicial Independence & Human Rights at FIDA Conference Hong Kong.
- 1996 – 2004 Chair of the New Zealand Case Management Committee.
- May 1997 Speaker at World Bank Conference, “Justice Through Case Management” on reforms to the administration of Justice in Trinidad Tobago.
- 1997 – 2004 Department for Courts Change Board. (Overseeing an $80 million modernisation programme, including work processes for all jurisdictions, together with computer support mechanisms).
- 1998 Inns of Court Fellowship, Lincoln’s Inn, London, and the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, London.
- 1998 Speaker at inaugural dinner of the Denning Society, Lincoln’s Inn, London.
- 1997 – present Mediator in Singapore Court International Dispute Resolution Centre.
- 1999 – Keynote Speaker Australian Institute of Judicial Administration Annual Conference, Adelaide.
- 2003 – Manager New Zealand Team, Hong Kong International Cricket Sixes Tournament.
- 2003 – present President, Willows Cricket Club, Christchurch.
- 2006 – Presented F W Guest Memorial Lecture, University of Otago.
- 2007 – Chairman, final appeals committee for Rugby World Cup.
- 2007 – Appointed International Cricket Council Code of Conduct Commissioner.
- 2008 April Appointed Consultant to Legal Issues Centre, Law Faculty, Otago University.
- 2008 –June made a Distinguished Companion of The New Zealand Order of Merit (DCMNZ).
- 2008 – Appointed to JCA’s Appeal Panel.
- 2008 – Trustee Canterbury Youth Development Trust.
- 2008 – Trustee Christchurch Casino Charitable Trust.
- February 2009 – Appointed Independent Chair Stakehoders’ Group For Dunedin Stadium.
- March 2009 – Appointed to Court of Appeal Solomon Islands.
- April 2009 – Appointed to Court of Appeal Western Samoa.
- April 2009 – Appointed to the NZRFU Appeals Council.
- April 2009 – Appointed to IRB Judicial Panel.
- June 2009 – Appointed Rulings Panel for the Gas Industry.
- August 2009 – Reinvested as KNZM.
- August 2009 – Appointed by Dunedin City Council as Chair of Dunedin Venues Management Limited.
- October 2009 – Appointed to Board of New Zealand Cricket.
- November 2009 – Appointed Chair of the Legal Services Agency.
- May 2010 – Appointed Chair Canterbury Clinical Network.
- August 2010 – Appointed chair Dunedin Venues Limited.
- September 2010 – Appointed Chair of Red Cross Canterbury earthquake Commission.